Followers

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Going Back to Work

I have been back at work now for a little more than a week, after taking 6 weeks of leave for Eleanor.

Pros:

A good source of distraction
A reminder that the world is bigger than just me and my grief
Seeing people I genuinely care about again

Cons:

People don't ask about Eleanor
The day keeps going, regardless of my mood
Much of the time, I just don't care about the work anymore

Observation:  I am surprised by how normal I am able to act.  Interacting with people in much the same way I did before.  Things are dumb and funny.  Exciting and infuriating.  Gossip swirls.  Newscasts are created. Tempers flare. And I can operate in it.  Even enjoy many moments in the day.  Spend hours at a time not crying or sinking into my own thoughts or despair.

I cry the whole way home some days.  Then I go to work the next day.  While I can't say my enthusiasm for the job has returned in any real way, my ability to do the work is back.  So that's good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment