Followers

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pinwheels and Snapdragons

"It looked really nice.  The picture made me happy-sad."


This was my mother's response when I sent her a picture of what I did out at Eleanor's site today.  And it pretty much sums up how I feel after doing anything nice to remember or honor E.  When you lose a baby you are left with so little - so few tasks.  While others spend the 6th week of motherhood sleep deprived, washing bottles, bibs and blankets - I cling to the few "duties" I can take on for my precious daughter.  So I take her fresh flowers, spend time in her room and write these entries.

And I hate it.  Because it feels like such a charade. So unfair.

Just as I am starting to feel comforted by these little rituals, happy with what I have done her for - I inevitably get smacked in the face with a child in a stroller, a children's book display or some other item that brings it all back into sharp focus.  And then I am sad again.

Sad that burns in my throat and aches in my empty arms.  Sad that crushes me under the weight of its horrifying permanence.

No comments:

Post a Comment